Monday, July 9, 2007

First trip to Thailand







I have had requests to keep a blog or diary on-line to keep everyone in the loop. I found some friends that suggested I use this site and I am working on getting this up and running. As a warning to those that will be reading this, please know that I am not the best at conveying what is on my mind. I may tend to talk alot until I finally get to the point. :)
And I am horrible at proper English, grammar, spelling...you name it. Just try and figure out what I am saying and I think we will all get through this.

ENJOY!

This was my first trip to East Asia. Here we are sitting in the Tokyo airport. Don't we look lovely?
I don't want to hear anything about my hair....I was going for a new style.

This is where it all began...
Four years ago, back in 2003, I had the opportunity to go with a group to Chiang Mai, Thailand. Most people were telling me that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity! I don't think any of us thought that there would seriously be a second chance! I knew I enjoyed this journey and desired to go back but I just didn't think it would end up happening. But it did and I went back in 2005 and then again this past February.
I've now passed the third trip in February and get to go back for an entire year!
I made the commitment to work with a language translation group, SIL, in East Asia for at least 1 year in 2008, providing different types of administrative support. SIL is a nonprofit organization that focuses on non-written languages in minority cultures. They provide translations of minority culture languages that enable new advances in the complex field of educational development in multilingual and multicultural societies. One of their goals is people-centered development, therefore the organization gives priority to training local people in ways that help them develop their full potential. The organization integrates language and literacy skills with other forms of community development. These include practical training to coincide with written materials on agriculture, health, sanitation, spiritual growth, and other topics requested by local communities. (For more information, please visit WWW.SIL.ORG)

So, that is the story. I hope you enjoyed it and will come back for more! I will continue to update this site until I leave and then I'll keep ya'll updated while I am there.

Take care!

Blessings,
Jamie